- The ESOL directory identifies concentrations of provision and details the planned ESOL courses available in Sheffield throughout the current academic year
- As well as for ESOL providers, the directory is a also useful tool for other organisations which support learners of English, such as Jobcentre Plus and housing associations
- The directory is updated every term and has a growing list of contributors.
The ESOL Directory can be downloaded here
SAVTE have a well stocked resource library at The Circle including books, worksheets, games and audio materials, which volunteers can access during office hours. There is also an abundance of excellent teaching resources online. A list of useful links to sites which provide free resources can be found below:
Excellence Gateway: http://rwp.excellencegateway.org.uk/ESOL/
This is the site where you can download the Skills for Life Learner Materials from Entry 1 to Level 2.
Skills workshop: http://www.skillsworkshop.org/
This useful website has lots of resources for ESOL, literacy and Maths. You can search to find resources for different levels and skills.
Skillswise is the BBC website for adults who want to improve their basic skills in reading, writing and maths.
British Council ESOL NEXUS: http://esol.britishcouncil.org/
This is a good website to browse and find ideas and resources. You could look in the Teacher Section at ‘Teaching UK Life’ and find resources on topics like ‘English in my home’ and ‘Places in the town’.
Teaching English BBC British Council: http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/
This site is a hub for English resources from the BBC and British Council. Good for browsing for lesson ideas.
Learn English British Council: http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/
This website is aimed mostly at post-beginner learners, but you might find some useful ideas, or videos and resources that you could adapt.
ESOL Resources for busy teachers: http://www.esolresources.co.uk/
This website is run by a teacher in Leeds and includes lots of audio recordings under the tab ‘Radio ESOL’.
English Grammar Guide: http://www.edufind.com/
This is a useful reference for teachers with clear grammar explanations and examples.
Ship or Sheep?: http://www.shiporsheep.com/
A pronunciation guide of the sounds of English.
Useful English: http://usefulenglish.ru/
Vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar.
- Sheffield ESOL provision directory 2016-17 Term 2 (Jan)
- 2017 Volunteer Application & Enrolment Form
- SAVTE Annual Report 2015-16