A growing number of people in Sheffield would like to improve their spoken English.
We need to recruit new volunteers to help our most isolated students to learn.
- What's involved?
- How we support you
- In return...
- What we need...
- What's next?
- We train you in teaching English as a second language (ESOL) providing a super fast and effective course especially geared to your needs. Based in the centre of Sheffield it involves three hours a week for 8 weeks. The training is very practical with hands-on teaching practice
- When you are trained we ask you to commit one hour a week to teach 1 learner (more if you want) for a minimum of 6 months.
- We will carry out a DBS (criminal record) check for you
How we support you:
- We match you to a learner who we have already visited and assessed.
- By providing resources and helping you to plan lessons
- We have a review with you every two months to make sure all is going well
- Our team are at the end of the phone during office hours to answer your questions
- We provide ongoing training to support your development
What our volunteers get in return:
- An experience of teaching ESOL with the support of our team
- An opportunity to learn about other cultures
- The chance to see your volunteering make a real difference
- The satisfaction of helping to make Sheffield a welcoming place to live
What we need from you:
- Good spoken and written English
- An ability to work with people in a supportive way
- A desire to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds
- An hour a week of your time, plus preparation and travel time.
- Be part of a lively, diverse and supportive team.
- Apply online now: click this link
- Down load a printable copy of the application form or contact us to send you a hard copy.
- Come along to an information evening (held 3 times a year). The next one will be 5.30pm-8pm, Wednesday 12th September 2018 and will be hosted at The Circle, Rockingham lane (off Division Street)
SAVTE will TRAIN you, MATCH you with a learner and SUPPORT you to TEACH English
How to apply
Please fill out the online Volunteer Enrolment Form, using the link below or download the from and post/email to (see contact us).