Volunteering for SAVTE
A growing number of people in Sheffield would like to improve their spoken English. We need to recruit new volunteers to help our most isolated students to learn.
- We train you in teaching English as a second language (ESOL) providing a super fast and effective course especially geared to your needs. Based in the centre of Sheffield it involves three hours a week for 8 weeks. The training is very practical with hands-on teaching practice
- When you are trained we ask you to commit one hour a week to teach 1 learner (more if you want) for a minimum of 6 months.
- We will carry out a DBS (criminal record) check for you
How we support you:
- We match you to a learner who we have already visited and assessed.
- By providing resources and helping you to plan lessons
- We have a review with you every two months to make sure all is going well
- Our team are at the end of the phone during office hours to answer your questions
- We provide ongoing training to support your development
What our volunteers get in return:
- An experience of teaching ESOL with the support of our team
- An opportunity to learn about other cultures
- The chance to see your volunteering make a real difference
- The satisfaction of helping to make Sheffield a welcoming place to live
What we need from you:
- Good spoken and written English
- An ability to work with people in a supportive way
- A desire to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds
- An hour a week of your time, plus preparation and travel time.
- Apply online now: click this link
- Or contact us to send you a hard copy or for more information on 0114 2536644
- Come along to an information evening (held 3 times a year). The next one is 17 April 5.30pm at The Circle, Rockingham lane (off Division street)
How to apply
Please fill out the Volunteer Enrolment Form, using the link below and post/email to (see contact us).